I released a version of this show on November 2, 2013. I'm released a new version now. Why? Because I decided that at least some of my matrixes have too much AUD in the mix. It's an easy trap to fall into. So I thought it was worth experimenting with some re-releases. (If this one is well-recieved, I may also re-release my 7/8/78 matrix.)
I appreciate any and all feedback people have. Do you think this release is an improvement over the earlier one? I know some people prefer AUD-heavy mixes. Personally, I don't. My aim is a clean, 'professional' sound. What do you think?
FRESH LEGS, VOL. 7 (Matrix)
- Thanks go to everyone who worked on and made available the sources used in this matrix. Obviously, this project would have been impossible without their prior efforts.
- This show is one of my personal favorites. In my opinon, it deserves to be on any shortlist of the best shows of the '80s. It's great from start to finish. The particular standouts are: Sugaree, Masterpiece (Jerry is *all over* it!), and (of course) the Morning Dew, which is one for the ages.
Other high points include Candyman, All Along the Watchtower, and Knockin' On Heaven's Door. The crowd participation during the first half of Good Lovin' is really great, too (and one of those things you won't notice with the SBD alone).
- I only retain between-song crowd-noise from AUD sources. In this case, that means that I cut from the SBD some of the crowd-noise (a) after "Walkin' Blues," (b) after "Masterpiece," and (c) before "Knockin' On the Heaven's Door."
- The SBD is missing (a) the crowd-noise at the beginning of the second set, (b) the very beginning of "Shakedown," and (c) most of "Space." I patched these from the Healy Ultrabox SBD.
- The Pasternak AUD is missing the very beginning of "Bird Song."
- The Pasternak AUD is missing about 12 seconds of "Space." The Healy Ultrabox SBD, which I used to patch the main SBD, is missing about 24 seconds of "Space." These drop-outs do not overlap: there is always at least two sources going at any given time throughout the second set.
- The sources were remastered and mixed in Logic Pro 9. Clean-up was done using iZotope RX 3 Advanced. The sets were split in WaveLab LE 7. SBE's were fixed using Trader's Little Helper.
- I speed- and pitch-corrected the AUD sources (as well as the Healy SBD) using the iZotope Radius algorithm. Fine-tune syncing was done in Logic Pro 9.
- I ran the Samaritano SBD and the Pasternak AUD through iZotope RX 3's Declip function.
- I converted the Pasternak source from 16/44.8 to 16/44.1 using iZotope RX 3.
- Some imperfections remain (mainly on the SBD), as I couldn't manage to get rid of some without a net loss in sound quality.
November 22, 2013